Monday, March 24, 2008

Can-Out Of Reach (1978)


This is the second to final Can album before the musicians took about a decade off for side and solo projects, it is also the only album to have no involvement from Holger Czukay. I assume it is the last fact that makes this album the only one of their original releases to not be in print. It is very unfortunate that Czukay is not on this album, but it is still a fine piece of work. there are 4 songs that I feel still capture that audio magic that these fine musicians were so capable of conjuring. Michael Karoli's guitar solos on the songs Serpentine, November and Seven Days Awake stack up along with some of his finest recorded moments. The rhythm section delivers exceptional playing as well as keyboardist Irmin Scmidt. Rumor has it that Jaki Liebzeit had a very limited role on this album, but he is credited on 5 of the 7 songs, so I tend to feel that rumor is false. This version originally comes from the old TKO magnum CD release which unfortunately was taken from a so-so vinyl copy. I went and remixed these tracks so that the high end is brought out more, and I increased the stereo separation as well. The cover art here was also taken from that CD but was retouched to look more like the original 1978 release. I Hope you will enjoy it like I do.

Download Can-Out Of Reach

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks so much for this hard to find, underrated Can album! Yeah, Damo and Holger aren't here, but this is still a pretty trippy album. I think Karoli sounds great throughout. Don't understand why some Can fans can't get into this record. Maybe the problem is comparing it to classic Can instead of just hearing it as music, on it's own terms. Cheers...

Steve Engler said...

You're certainly welcome, I'm really glad that there are others who feel this was a strong album.

the saucer people said...

Hi Steve , I just wanted to thank you so much for sharing this album and taking the time and effort to tweak it for maximum listening pleasure. I know Cleopatra re-released this as a limited vinyl pressing but I have not heard it yet. As far as I am concerned (given the fact this recording was lifted from vinyl, not from the original tapes) you have done an excellent job audio wise and it sounds great.
Its strange how both this album and Inner Space is often ignored and I agree with you, I think in some peoples eyes, the absence of Suzuki & Czukay makes it somehow not a "real" Can album but I think it has its own real charm and you can tell they were taking in contemporary influences at the time and my gods, Conny Plank produced it, surely that and the line up means its pure Can!

Anyway, really appreciate the fact its still available to download so long after you originally posted it, such a rarity these days!

Steve Engler said...

I'm glad to be able to share this, I hope someday it will get an official CD release.

Anonymous said...

Many Thanks!!!

Anonymous said...

Nice to see others out there enjoy this album. Had it from day one on vinyl and felt it was greatly underrated. Has a nice warm vibe throughout and some great guitar work from MK. Even like the pseudo-disco beats as well! Shame the CD version doesn't do it justice.

Steve Engler said...

Maybe if we keep praising it, the will re-issue it sometime in better fidelity, thanks for the comments.

Mr Fab said...

Thanks, been looking for this one!